Here at Northwood Animal Hospital, we LOVE puppies! There are risks and benefits, however, to puppy boarding and day camp. It’s important that you are fully informed when making the decision to socialize your puppy.
Puppy Boarding & Day Care Policy
We do not allow puppies (or any dogs) go in the dog park areas and kennel area if they are not fully vaccinated.
Minimum Age: 16 weeks
Required Vaccines / Preventative Care
Proof that vaccines were administered by a licensed veterinarian is required.
- All dogs, regardless of age must have BV, DAPL (#1 and #2) and Rabies in order to play in the park.
BENEFITS of socialization for puppies
- Helps build their immune system
- Top behaviorists in the field agree that socializing at this age is imperative for the development of a well-adjusted dog
- Decreases undesirable behaviors due to separation anxiety
- Helps with teething behaviors and bite inhibition before and during the teething process
- Exerts energy so less bad habits develop at home
- Encourages fearful and submissive puppies to gain confidence with increased stimulation, noises, and faster movement made by other puppies
RISKS of socialization for puppie
- Their immune system is not fully developed and they have not completed their puppy vaccine series, which means they have a higher risk of getting sick (kennel cough, parvo, distempter). In addition, symptoms of illness can be stronger and/or worse (i.e. may get dehydrated quicker, may need supportive care quicker than an adult dog)
- They have not had their rabies vaccine
- Smaller breed dogs and puppies are at an increased risk of injury while playing